Thursday, July 24, 2008

Web Searching Reflection

In the web searching assignment, we are required to use the search engines and search tools to find resources about useful websites, specific information about people, reading materials or organizations and software or applications. This is an interesting assignment and I also think it is quite useful. I am personally also a great fan of searching information online whenever I need some things, such as maps to different locations, concept explanation or English-Chinese translation.

After searching, analyzing and summarizing all the online information, I get more familiar with all the searching engines and tools. Before doing this assignment, I would mainly use Google to search information, but now I can use different search engines to find out useful resources when single engine does not work well. It is indeed a good way to use different search engines and tools to find information. I also realized that there are so many resources online and sometimes we have to have sharp and critical eyes to find the materials that best fit our needs. By searching information online, I also think that we should be very careful when we are posting information to the internet, because personal information or even private information can be easily tracked and found by others.

Searching online is one very important and easier (compared with scanning all the books in library) way to find information. Whenever I have doubts, internet is my first tool to find the solution. After this assignment, I will critically so the online searching and find more useful materials in a more efficient way.

Link to my assignment: http://ocean.otr.usm.edu/~w742726/websearch.html

No comments: